Saturday, October 9, 2010

How Do I Love Thee? (Module 3)

This particular assignment was somewhat of a challenge for me to complete. First of all, I didn’t immediately understand how patterns or patterning in general fit in with my content area topic, which focuses on the use of webinars in a training/educational environment. What I ultimately discovered is that understanding patterns can assist me with deciding which webinars work best with the type of curriculum I am creating for future presentations.
In the diverse realm of webinars, there are patterns that I use that are known as “best practices.” Best practices are a set of rules or guidelines that help define the most appropriate methods and/or approaches to a specific aspect of teaching. For me, the best practices that I adhere to are quite common among educators. They can be found through a variety of sources including websites, scholarly journals, and prominent e-learning professionals. I believe the best pattern that exists in my content area topic also allows me to be consistent with how I want to use webinars. It is a general distinction of what separates the webinar from other types of e-learning. Here is a simple table that explains why and how webinars are used:
While the above information is a tried and true formula to guide educators with using webinars, to properly address the requirements for this assignment I researched some additional methods to employ in the future.  I found information on the Adobe website that provides a specialized list of best practices for webinar use. From their list I am most interested in using the following two best practices that will benefit the presenters/trainers as well as the students/participants:
1.      Confirm registration
Make sure you send a confirmation e-mail upon registration. The confirmation should contain a short restatement of the value proposition, instructions for attending, an electronic calendar appointment (typically an iCal or vCal attachment), and a sentence letting them know that you will send a reminder message before the event. It is important to let them know that they should expect additional communications of value from you. Setting expectations helps reduce frustration at “e-mail overload” and builds a precedent of ongoing communications. (Example below)
2.      Send reminders
Reminder e-mails are a good idea before your event. Some companies send one reminder, others use two reminders. Avoid the urge to send more than two reminder e-mails, because you run the risk of changing their perception from value to harassment. A useful schedule for reminders is 24 hours before the event and 1–3 hours before the event. Make sure to briefly highlight the key value proposition for your audience in the reminder message. Many people may have forgotten the persuasive marketing points that made them want to register. You need to reestablish the idea that your event is worth their time. (Example below)

Of course not every best practice is suitable for every webinar situation, but the two I referenced from Adobe seem very adaptable most of the time. They also will create a pattern for everyone involved with the webinar. They will eventually understand and expect these two things to occur with each webinar coming from the training department.
References:
Web meetings, webinars and virtual classrooms compared. 2009. Onlignment.  Retrieved from: http://onlignment.com/2009/08/web-meetings-webinars-and-virtual-classrooms-compared/


No comments:

Post a Comment