Friday, November 5, 2010

What's the Big Idea? (Module 5)

Thinking is easy, acting is difficult, and to put one’s thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Embodied thinking often requires us to think outside the box or beyond what is normal. The key tool in this process is our imagination. We need to imagine ourselves as the subject or object of focus. This process isn’t easy however. The Root-Bernsteins imply that, “It is possible to conjure up feelings of body tension or touch or movement in the mind, but most of us overlook these imaginative feelings because we are trained so early to see them or translate them into descriptive words (162).” Embodied thinking requires some effort but it is well worth it in certain learning situations, such as an advanced Psychology course or a Classical Mythology class.

I believe the best definition of empathizing was presented in the Sparks book by Willa Cather. Her concept of this way of thinking is more of a universal perspective. Cather stated that, “They [writers, actors, and physicians] learn to understand other people not only objectively from the outside but subjectively from the inside (186).” As someone who designs training in a corporate environment, I must engage in embodied thinking on routine basis. For example, I am not a Resolution Agent, but it is often necessary for me to think like one in order to create a training module for someone who is. Likewise, I do not work as a Repair Technician, but I sometimes must think like one to create training for these individuals as well.

On a generic rating scale of 1 to 10, I would give embodied thinking a five in terms of how often I utilize it in my daily practice. However, I give Empathizing a 7.5. I believe that both aspects play a role in designing training programs. So based on the information presented in this week’s readings and assignments, I am mulling over a few things that can be implemented on my job rather quickly. For example, I might incorporate some elements of embodied thinking into the design of our next customer service training class. This could include adding some role play modules that require the CSRs to think and act as a frustrated customer. This type of exercise could prove to be an effective way for them to improve their job performance.

Ironically it will require some embodied thinking on my part to create a webinar that allows for the type of role play I would like to include into that particular training course. I will also need to anticipate how the training will be received in that kind of learning format. An exercise in embodied thinking would require me to imagine myself as a student who is engaging in role play during a webinar. How do I feel? Comfortable? Confused? Or maybe excited?

Hmm…this could be the start of something interesting.

1 comment:

  1. There may be a neurological connection between embodied thinking and emphasizing as well. NOVA had a great segment a few years ago on mirror neurons, check out the videos here http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sciencenow/3204/01.html

    -Kristen

    ReplyDelete