Saturday, November 20, 2010

What's the Big Idea? (Module 6)

He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking.” ~ Mr. Spock, from Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

I really enjoyed reading Chapters 11 and 12 of the Sparks book.  The information presented by the Root-Bernsteins made me recall ways in which I have used the two thinking tools of Dimensional Thinking and Modeling before. According to the authors, “Dimensional thinking involves moving from 2-D to 3-D or vice-versa; mapping, or transforming information provided in one set of dimensions to another set; scaling, or altering the proportions of an object or process within one set of dimensions; and conceptualizing dimensions beyond space and time as we know them (204).” Their example of the paper airplane made me think of a television program I saw that showed piles of lumber lined up in stacks for the construction of a new home. The next dimension was the completion of a log cabin house using those stacks of lumber.  Also when I think of the authors' examples of scaling, I think of taking a training program designed for eight individuals and then redesigning it to accommodate sixteen more people.

As far as modeling goes, I like how the book summed it up with detailed information. One example that really hit home with me was the explanation that, “Models can be smaller than life, life-sized, or bigger; physical or mathematical; realistic or not, depending on their intended uses. In almost all cases, the point of a model is to make accessible something that is difficult to experience easily (229).” That is exactly what the designers at GM were able to do with the creation of their EN-V concept car. The video below demonstrates how the idea (which relies heavily on both dimensional thinking and modeling) was inspired, designed, and ultimately created.



From a personal perspective, I really like the approach GM took to developing their concept car. They thoroughly outlined their vision of the future and how their vehicle would address the needs of their consumers. In my daily practice, I think the best way to apply dimensional thinking and modeling is to the trainers I work with. I can see a great benefit to allowing them to devise ways to improve training using dimensional thinking. I can also see them promoting or communicating their ideas with modeling.

One way to get them to utilize both of these thinking tools is to show them examples of how I use them in the instructional design process. Perhaps I can even set up a think tank session/presentation to get the ball rolling.  I can present examples of the two thinking tools in action and subsequently allow the trainers to collaborate on ways to implement them into their daily practice.  Like the Root-Bernsteins have so profoundly stated thus far - it all begins with a spark of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment